Advantages of Metal Roofs in 2018
If you are located in Cartersville or Kennesaw, Georgia or any of the surrounding areas and are looking for roofing repairs, then check out 1 OAK Roofing. They are the best residential and commercial roofing experts in Northern Georgia. One of their services offered is replacing the current roof or completely building a brand new one. It is guaranteed that your expectations will be met, along with giving you the best customer service possible.
The Best Types of Metal and Panel
Before you start to fix your current roof or start to build a brand new roof, you will need to determine the type of material you are wanting to use. Roofs are typically made with asphalt. Asphalt roofs are not always the best way to go; in fact, the best types of roofs are metal roofs. There are many types of metals used for roofing such as steel, stainless steel, aluminum, copper, and zinc alloys. The recommended metal panel to use is 29-gauge. The higher the gauge number, the thinner the material. So, 29-gauge is the thinnest metal panel. Also, it is used on nearly 80% of homes, and it is most beneficial for residential roofing.
Types of Metal Roofs
There are 3 main styles of roofing: R-Panel, Corrugated, and Architectural Standing Seam. R-Panel roofs are the low-maintenance option. This style is the most popular option for both residential and commercial roofing. Corrugated Roofs are the classic and original ones. They are generally used for businesses and restaurants as they provide the classy look. The last style is the Architectural Standing Seam. This roofing provides superior wind protection and resistance to water. It is because of how the panels interlock.
Advantages of Metal Roofs
Metal is the best material to use when building a roof because there are multiple advantages.
- The durability of metal roofs is incredible. The metal roofs can sustain wind gusts up to 140 miles per hour. The roof will not crack or deteriorate away, and the maintenance is fairly low.
- The longevity of metal roofs ranges anywhere from 40-70 years compared to traditional asphalt roof which only lasts up to 20 years.
- They are safer because they will not spark and ignite into flames during harsh weather conditions.
- Metal roofs are energy efficient because they reflect dolor radiant energy; therefore, reducing the cooling costs by 10-25%.
- It also benefits our environment. Metal roofs usually have 25-95% recycled content, and they can be recycled after their lifetime.
Disadvantages of Metal Roofs
There are some disadvantages of metal roofs, but they are well worth it.
- Metal roofs tend to be a bit pricier upfront when compared to other roofs.
- During extreme weather conditions such as heavy rain and hail storms, metal roofs can be noisy.
- If you like to do construction by yourself, then metal roofs are going to be difficult and most definitely a challenge to install. Metal roofing is best done by professionals who have multiple hours of practice.
Metal Roofs vs Other Roofs
As you can clearly tell, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Metal roofs can be expensive but compare to the other roofs, metal roof’s life expectancy is much greater. It is also more durable than other materials. Although the roofs can be noisy, they will not take much damage during harsh conditions like shingles would, and when it comes to installation, roofing is something that should be left up to professionals as they are much more skilled. So the next time you need a roofing repair or a brand new roof, go with the metal roof option because they are the best option for roofs in 2018.